Sunday, April 14, 2013

A Little Early

Some might say these are a little late, I just say they are really early! I made Halloween placemats this fall. The fabrics were just too cute to pass up. After the placemats were finished, I had quite a few scraps left. Looking at the pile of Halloween goodness, I saw a table topper.

Isn't it lovely? I used this pattern to make table toppers last spring. Have you ever skimmed through the directions on a pattern you have made before. All the while, thinking "Oh yes, I remember how this goes?" This is the feeling I got when reading the directions. Well, after piecing the topper, I couldn't quite put my finger on what was wrong.

This pattern will make two table toppers with just a little extra main fabric (solid black) and backing fabric, so I always make two. I finally figured out what went wrong when I put the second one together.

Notice on this table topper that the black fabric with the eyes makes a really nifty point that appears to be behind the colored triangles? I sewed these in the wrong direction on the first one. The first one still looks cool, so I decided to keep it that way.
My 9 year old will be making Halloween placemats that coordinate with these table toppers, so I think I will keep one of these for her when she gets older. I know that is a long time from now, but it will be here before know it.
Off to sew something! Maybe I should finish the last baby quilt or should I work on the very bright spring midi bag that is calling my name? Decisions, decisions.
Heather

 

No comments:

Post a Comment